Arrival in Panama of Tug "Miraflores"
From the Panama Canal Spillway January 17, 1997

picclick.gif (1057 bytes)


The following article, taken from the November 9, 1910, issue of the Canal Record, relates the arrival in Panama of the tug "Miraflores."

The tug Miraflores, arrived in Panama Bay on the morning of November 4, (1910) having made the trip up the west coast of South America from Valparaiso, Chile, in about 10 days, which was considerably better time than it made during the previous part of its voyage. It left the yards of Pusey and Jones at Wilmington, Delaware, on August 12, the builders having made a contract with the captain, R.G. Ludwig, for delivery at a stipulated price. The first stop was at Barbados, where the tug was in dry dock for eight days. Then it continued on its voyage around South America meeting with almost continuous rough weather until after it passed through the Straits of Magellan. Stops were made at Barbados, Pernambuco, Montevideo, Sandy Point, Coronel and Callao. All but three members of the original crew deserted during the voyage, the vessel reaching its destination with 12 men, besides the captain and mate. The tug showed the effects of the rough voyage on its weather-beaten sides, while two or three panels in the deck house had been splintered by heavy seas. It was beached on Naos Island for inspection, and will be placed in commission with a new crew this week, towing sand barges to and from Punta Chame. This will allow an opportunity for overhauling the tug La Boca, which has been handling the tows ever since the sand service was begun. Immediately after its arrival in Balboa, after the voyage of 13,000 miles, the Miraflores was given a speed trial and made 10 knots in 42 minutes.

The new tug conforms closely in dimensions and equipment to the La Boca. Its length is 118 feet 6 inches overall; breadth 23 feet, and depth at side is 12 feet 6 inches. Its engine is of the triple expansion surface condensing type, has a 24 in. stoke, and is fitted with a high pressure cylinder 21 inches in diameter and a low pressure cylinder 32 inches in diameter. The boiler is of the cylindrical return tubular type, 14 feet in diameter, 12 feet six inches long, having three cylindrical furnaces 45 inches in diameter, and combustion chamber with a working pressure of 150 pounds. Coal will be the fuel used. The condenser, consisting of 3/4 inch solid brass drawn tubes, contains 900 square feet of cooling surface. Its electric plant is capable of supplying current for about 80 lights, and also a 120 ampere searchlight. The propeller shaft is 8 1/2 inches in diameter. Two rooms are fitted up in the after part of the boat, one for the use of the captain, and the other for the mate.

The Pacific Division tugboat fleet now consists of four vessels, the La Boca, Cocoli, the supply boat Chame and the Miraflores.


Presented by CZBrats
Last Update: October 6, 1998
articlesb.gif (1646 bytes)MMy.gif (1755 bytes)