Coconut Pound Cake
1 c. shortening
1/2 c. butter
3 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. almond extract
|3 c. sifted cake
1 c. milk
2 c. grated fresh coconut or canned flaked coconut
1. Separate eggs, placing whites in a large bowl, yolks in another large bowl. Let egg whites warm to room temperature; about 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
3. With electric mixer at high speed, beat egg yolks with shortening and butter until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add extract and beat until blended.
4. At low speed, beat in flour (in fourths) alternately with milk (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour.
5. Add coconut; beatuntil well blended.
6. Beat egg whites just until stiff peaks form. With wire whisk or rubber scraper, gently fold whites into batter until well combined. Turn into prepared pan.
7. Bake 2 hours, or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool thoroughly on wire rack.
NOTE: This cake has a nice macaroonlike top. It slices better the day after it is made. Just wrap well with plastic film and foil, and store in the refrigerator. To serve, dust top lightly with powdered sugar.