Trivia Contest Answers
1. What are the dimensions (length, width,
and depth) of a lock chamber?
1,000 feet long, 110 feet wide, 81 feet deep
2. How much water is used for each transit?
52,000,000 gallons of fresh water
3. When was the first official transit?
August 15, 1914 by the SS Ancon
4. What was the name of the tug that
actually was the first vessel through the canal?
The tug's name was Gatun
5. What direction does the canal run?
Northeast (Atlantic) by Southwest (Pacific)
6. What did the Gaillard Cut used to be
7. What was the amount of material (earth)
in movement at the Cucaracha Slide?
500,000 cubic yards
8. How many gates at the Gatun Spillway?
9. How many miles between Gatun and Pedro
11. What was the original width of the Canal
at Gaillard Cut?
12. What day of the week did "The Colonel" hold court?
13. During Construction Days -- where was
the sanitorium located?
On Taboga Island
14. Which ship paid the highest toll to
transit the canal?
Rhapsody of the Seas, April 15, 1998 -- $165,235.58
15. What was the lowest toll paid, by whom,
36 cents by Richard Halliburton in 1928 who swam through the Canal
16. What is the name of the artist who did
the murals in the Administration Building?
William Van Ingen
17. How many steps lead up to the
Administration Building from the Goethals Memorial?
18. Where was the Governors house
originally built and located?
The town of Culebra
19. When did traffic begin driving on the
right in Panama?
April 15, 1943
20. When was electrical power changed from
25 cycle to 60 cycle?
21. When was the Bridge of Americas
April 6, 1962
22. What was the original name of the bridge?
Thatcher Ferry Bridge
23. What year were telephones first used in
Panama? (Extra credit if you can remember your own phone number there!)
24. What High Schools were on the Zone and
their school colors?
Balboa High School -- red and white
Cristobal High School -- blue and gold
Paraiso High School -- dark blue and gold
Rainbow City High School -- blue and white
25. In what town is the Dredging Division
26. What was the Local Rate town's name that
was located near the present day town of Pedro Miguel?
27. About how many cubic yards of
material were removed from Culebra Cut by the Americans?
96,000,000 cubic yards
28. What is the lift of the locks at Gatun,
Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks?
85 feet at Gatun and a total of 85 feet at Pedro Miguel and Miraflores
29. In what year did a slide at Gaillard Cut
close the Canal?
30. What was the original toll on naval
vessels (not transports) transiting the Canal?
50 cents per displacement ton
31. What was the date and name of the
ship that made the first commericial transit of the Panama Canal?
SS Cristobal -- August 3, 1914
32. What is the height and length of the
Bridge of Americas?
5,425 feet long and 384 feet high
33. What is the name of the first woman
employed by the Isthmian Canal Commission?
Mary Eugene Howard
35. By what other name is the Atlantic Side
Several answers got you by this one!
Gold Coast, The Other Side, The Next Side
36. What famous movie star wears a pearl
from the Perlas Islands?
37. What was the name that Vasco Nunez de Balboa first called Taboga Island?
38. What is the name of the small island off
39. What Panama export is known as
Bananas (I hesitate to accept Panama Beer as an answer - must be a close 2nd)
40. What year did the Panama Canal Company
stop using Commissary Books?
41. How much was invested by the US in
building the Canal?
42. Who was President of the United States when the Canal officially opened?
44. In what US city is Locomotive #299 now located?
Paterson, New Jersey
45. Just what is the name of that street that goes up the hill between Balboa Clubhouse and the bank?
46. What U.S. company made most of the steam shovels used to dig out Culebra Cut?
The Bucyrus Company
47. Where was Aspinwall?
Aspinwall was the name of the City of Colon when the Panama Railroad was built. It was also the name of the sanitorium located on Taboga Island. Both answers were considered correct.
48. Teddy Roosevelt and what other US President came to Panama to see the Canal Construction?
William Howard Taft
49. Who was the FIRST Chief Engineer of the Isthmian Canal Commission?
John F. Wallace
50. What was the name of Rainbow City before it changed names?
51. What is the name of the US Army General who designed the locks for the Panama Canal?
General Harry F. Hodges
52. Where is the plaque commemorating Gaillards contribution to the building of the Panama Canal located today?
This plaque is now located at the bottom of the Administration Building stairs.
53. What year did Cristobal High School move from Cristobal to Coco Solo?
54. What is the name of the restaurant located at Balboa Train Station?
55. What is the date set for the final graduation from Balboa High School?
May 15, 1999
56. What year did the Tivoli Hotel open?
Click Back Button To Return To Previous Page